J amison-Schmitz Funeral Home was previously known as Ridler Brothers Furniture and Funeral Home and was owned by John & Charles Ridler. In 1928, Herbert Brant joined the firm. Herb had received his funeral director’s license in 1903 and had previously operated a funeral home in Dunkerton. The business was called Ridler Brothers and Brant Furniture and Funeral Home. Not long after, Clyde Whalen joined the firm thus becoming the Ridler-Whalen & Brant Furniture and Funeral Home. In 1931, the partnership was dissolved and Herb purchased the funeral home equity and continued the business as Brant Funeral Home. The business at that time was located between Grace United Methodist Church and the Masonic Temple. Herb’s son, Russell joined the firm in 1937 and son, Gordon joined the business and in 1948. In 1951, the funeral home was moved to its present day location on North Frederick Avenue. In 1962, Herb Brant retired and the Brant Funeral Home discontinued their ambulance service. In 1971, Russell Brant retired from the business. John Kerns, who was already with the firm as a funeral director, entered into partnership with Gordon Brant and the business continued as Brant-Kerns Funeral Home. In 1981, Gordon Brant retired and sold his share of the business to his partner, John Kerns. John Kerns then expanded the business by purchasing the Delsing-Wright Funeral Home in Maynard and Gleim Funeral Home in Arlington. Alan Jamison came to work for John Kerns as a funeral director in 1982 and then became a partner in the business in 1984. The business then became known as Kerns-Jamison Funeral Homes. In 1986, Paul Schmitz joined the firm as a funeral director. John Kerns sold his interest in the business to Alan Jamison in 1987. Paul Schmitz became a partner in the business in 1993 and then the business name was changed to the Jamison-Schmitz Funeral Homes, Inc. In 2004, Jamison-Schmitz purchased Floral Hills Memorial Gardens and Funeral Home in rural Oelwein.